With the kind permission of authors of construction historical research: PhDr. Michal Patrný and Ing. Markéta Musilová.
History of the House “U Černého orla”
Dionýz Houška and Ambrosio Balli
The first known owner of the house U Černého orla was Dionýz Houška, a member of patrician family from Litoměřice. The vast palatial house on the south side was built for him by well-known Italian builder Ambrosio Balli.
Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor
The house U Černého orla hosts the emperor and King of Bohemia Maximilian II of Habsburg, with the empress Maria of Spain and their son Matthias.
Šimon Petr Aulík
The house comes to the ownership of Šimon Petr Aulík, who was an imperial reeve in Litoměřice until 1624.
The house U Černého orla witnesses important negotiation of the so called “Peace of Prague”, which was attended by King of Bohemia and future Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand III and Elector John George I of Saxony’s emissaries.
On June 14, 1650 were the house and the belongings (particularly vast estate in Pokratice) taken away from the town law union and by adding to Zemské desky (“Land Registers”, meaning: old Czech source of law) promoted to the knight residence. It was done so on an order of Ferdinand III (retroactively valid from 1628) and it was named – probably still under the influence of the visit of Maximilian II – “Králův hrádek” (ENG: King’s castle, DE: Königsburg). Probably since this year (up to middle of 19th century), there was a wooden board hanging above the entrance to the house with imperial eagle and three-line inscription: “SALVA GUARDIA – KRÁLŮV HRÁDEK – KONIGS PÜRGEL”, which was a part of the privilege that Šimon Aulík of Třebnice got from the emperor Ferdinand III.
“Bílý lev” Restaurant
The Bílý lev (Weisser Löwe) restaurant is mentioned in this house for the first time.
Ferdinand, Baron von Třebnice and Králův hrádek sold the house and the vineyards (because of financial problems) on July 24 for 6900 gold coins; this sale was recorded to Zemské desky on September 9. Thus was the house removed from provincial jurisdiction and became the property of the town; since this year up to middle of 20th century was the house called “Public House (Gemeindehaus)”. The oldest surviving portrayal of the house on the perspective town map by land surveyor Johann Glocksperger comes from the same year; the house is depicted from the south, including the courtyard wings – the portrayal is somewhat schematic, but essentially corresponds with reality.
Accommodation of the Army
House areas, with exception of the rented restaurant, were rented out to accommodate the army; undoubtedly, this had a very negative impact on the interior and general construction condition. It was not until 1776 when the garrison was moved to former Jesuit dorm, which was closed down in 1773. But part of the stable in the yard was still at the service for stabling the horses of staff officers.
“U Černého orla” Restaurant
The county council informed the Litoměřice town office that the “U Černého orla” restaurant is being adjusted for suitable entertainment of travelers and pending establishment of the post office in the back part of the house on December 17. The post office was really established on February 20, 1828 and started to work on May 1 in the same year.
The town of Litoměřice was declared conservation area and the national company „Stavoprojekt Praha“ made the localization of important historical buildings on the occasion, including the “U Černého orla” house. A vast reconstruction began the following year.